Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Lonely Little Blog

First posts always depress me. There is nothing here yet and no guarantee that there will ever be anything worth reading, but you have to start somewhere right? I suppose this post is best suited to expressing my intent, what I hope to make out of this blog. Clearly, as the title more than suggests, this blog will center around my art and I hope there will be plenty of material for me to talk about.

I work in all sorts of areas and I'm never sure what medium I might try out next. My current love affair revolves around polymer clay, using it to make art dolls in a mostly realistic fashion. I've played with polymer clay for a few years, trying everything from cartoony animals to making canes, and what I've found is that it's a great sculpting medium for me. It doesn't dry out, which is great because I have a tendency to get bored with a project at times and put it up until I get the urge to work on it again.

I'll have to go into more detail about polymer clay later, as I said this should be a post about intent and I will try to stay on topic. I have dabbled in many things, sewing, quilting, painting, scrapbooking, candle-making, jewelry, paper mache, and lots of other crafty odds and ends. I love to make things out of found objects and I have quite a collection of bits and baubles (which is growing all the time). I have a bad habit of not throwing things out because you never know when you could use it, but I'm trying desperately not to become a hoarder.

One thing that I've not been good about is recording the results of my various experiments. I know I take pictures occasionally, but then I change cameras or SD cards, or I get a new computer and forget to transfer all of my files over. Many things have been lost to the void and other things might still exist somewhere in the "archive". I will try to find what I can to evidence my past successes, but I hope that this blog will help me to keep a running tab of the new things I accomplish. At least I can access everything I put up here no matter what computer I might be on in the future.

Hopefully this blog won't be lonely for long, I plan to post again soon and I'm hoping that "if you write it they will come". Who 'they' refers to I'm not completely certain of, but I suppose you, gentle reader, would be part of that collective.

No comments:

Post a Comment